Cookie Road Trip – Arizona
By Beverly Hicks Burch
Arizona was the 48th state admitted to the United States. A Southwestern state in the Four Corners region, according to 2006 population statistics it is the US’s fastest growing state. Known for its desert beauty, Arizona is also the home of one of the USA’s natural wonders, the Grand Canyon. The state will also host Super Bowl XLII.
We tend to think of southwestern food when we think of Arizona, but our cookie recipe from this great state would tempt any Southerner’s palette. The recipe for Pecan Pie Bars was submitted to the Capitol Cookies by Cynthia Sellers of Phoenix and St. Augustine Catholic Church. Ms Sellers got her recipe from a friend…who got it from a magazine.
I’d say this is a well travel recipe and its next stop is on the Bama Steel Magnolia’s Cookie Road Trip.
© 2008 Beverly Hicks Burch All Rights Reserved.
Pecan Pie Bars
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla flavoring
3 tablespoons butter
1 ½ cups sugar
1 ½ cup corn syrup
2 ½ cup pecan halves
½ cup sugar
½ teaspoon salt
2 ½ flour
2 sticks butter, softened
Preheat oven to 350º.
For Cookie Crust:
1. Spray a 10 x 15 x 1 inch baking pan with a cooking spray.
2. Beat on medium speed sugar, flour, salt and butter until mixture is a fine crumb.
3. Press into pan.
4. Bake 20 – 30 minutes or until brown.
5. Top with filling.
1. Beat eggs, corn syrup, sugar, butter and vanilla until blended.
2. Stir in pecans.
3. Pour over hot crust and bake for 25 minutes until filling is firm around the edges.
4. Cool and cut into squares.
Makes about 48 bars.